Vino de la Jefa - Experimental & Amazing Single-Farm Nicaraguan Coffee
"Vino de la Jefa" translates to "Wine of the Lady Boss" - So named because this coffee hails from a 100% woman-owned coffee farm in the Jinotega region of Nicaragua. The matriarch, Maria Velasquez, has an artisan's touch with coffee and this offering is a shining example. After harvest and prior natural/dry processing, this coffee was fermented using a technique common to wine-making called carbonic maceration. The resulting coffee bears some striking resemblances to our own barrel-aging techniques that result in our seasonal special, Stumbling Monkey.
About Vino del La Jefa
- Roast level: Light
- Notes: Rum, Pineapple, Mango
- Origin: Jinotega region, Nicaragua
- Producer: Maria Velasquez & her daughters - 100% woman-owned coffee farm!
- Processing method: Carbonic maceration (fermentation), followed by standard Natural/Dry processing
- Tree varietals: Red & Yellow Caturra, Yellow Catuai, Javanica
- Growing elevation: 1300 masl (~4300 ft)
- Sourcing partner: Gold Mountain Coffee Growers